Muhammad Ali - Modern String & Nail Art - "Forever the Greatest"
1942.01.17 - 2016.06.03
Thread Art, String Art, String & Nail Art on Wood, Steel, Soft (Yarn, Cotton, Fabric).
Modern String Art piece using very simple materials.
3.85 Miles of a single, continuous piece of black crochet yarn strung around thousands of nails that have been driven into a white wooden backboard to create the iconic and recognizable portrait of Muhammad Ali, the worlds' greatest athlete.
The work is inspired by the passing of Muhammad Ali. He needs no introduction, but I felt the desire to contribute my own little piece towards celebrating this man that lived such an extraordinary life and remained, for its' entirety, a global role model.
This is the second piece in a collection that pays tribute and celebrates a number of celebrities that seem larger life and their legacies, larger still.
This, is not a fast process, and one does become rather intimately familiar with the subject matter, considering the amount of time spent focused on their features and by extension, on a mental level, their lives and the voids left by their absence. Interesting questions enter your mind, such as how the world will be different and what were they like in their private capacity as regular people, living day-to-day.
I used this particular method as there's a sense of awe and disbelief experienced by the viewer when they realize what they are actually looking at, followed immediately by a closer inspection and a rapid stream of questions and excitement. I experienced this the first time I saw the method and I guess it resonated in a way that felt right for use in commemorating the really exceptional among us and the long hours they spend in mastering their individual craft. It felt right. More right than taking a photo or drawing a picture might have, as they pose no challenge in their production. Or, at least not any challenge that could be reasonably compared to the one I found myself facing after making the decision to proceed with this collection.
This piece is quite large and heavy, but the backboard is very strong plywood and mounting brackets will not be a problem to install.
It feels slightly sheepish to mention, but this medium really is not done justice by photographs. These works need to be seen in person to really be appreciated. The way the visual effect changes depending on the distance of the viewer, cannot be replicated with a 2-dimensional reproduction. This piece is a personal favorite and very likely the only one that I'll produce at this scale.
I'm not really one to carry on and on about my own work, so please feel free to contact me, should you have any questions or find yourself in Switzerland where it's being stored, and would like a private viewing.
Materials: String & Nails on Wood.
Dimensions: 140cm x 122cm x 5cm
String Length: 6.2km
Nails QTY : 9374
[ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ] [ link hidden ]
When do I get it? Add the lead time (1-2 weeks) to the delivery time of the shipping option you select.
You'll be able to select from the following options at checkout:
|South African Post Office (SAPO)||Free|
Sorry! No options are available to ship to South Africa yet.Want to ship to South Africa? Click here.
Ordering and Shipping
- Where free shipping is indicated, this applies to major South African cities only.
- Where shipping is excluded, we will have this quoted for you if a cost is not indicated. If delivery is required to an international address, please email us your delivery address so we may work out a cost for you and upload it to the system.
- Please allow for 5 - 7 working days for delivery of stocked products to local desitations.
- If an item is not in stock or is a custom order, please allow 2 - 3 weeks for delivery.
Returns, Refunds and Exchanges:
- No returns, refunds or exchanges are granted unless the product is faulty or intrinsically compromised in some way during manufacturing. We inspect all our wares for quality assurance but should you find legitimate defect as described above, we will investigate with our manufacturers and/or suppliers and offer a remedy.
- All our wares are shipped un-insured via a third party and therefore we cannot be responsible for damages incurred during shipping. We do however endeavour to very carefully package your goods to ensure there is little chance of damage in transit.
- Minor scuffs or nicks on Sale Range items are excluded (as these are often prototype, end of range or consignment stock).